And now we have a diagnosis.

[This is the blog post written in 2014 when we got Josie's diagnosis and years before I knew I'd be co-founding the FOXG1 Research Foundation to find a cure]


On April 8th I got the call we have been waiting for since November. Katie, from Dr. Iglesias' office (the Geneticist at Columbia), asked "Is now a good time?" I said "yes." I think I held my breath in those few seconds between my apprehensive "yes" and her telling me the "gene mutation we found in Joise is..."

She explained that Josie has something called Congenital Rett Syndrome. No, that can't be it, Josie was tested for Rett Syndrome a year ago.
But this is Congenital variant of Rett Syndrome and is caused by a different gene than the MECP2 gene that is responsible for about 90% of all Rett Syndrome cases. Josie has a mutation on her FOXg1 gene. There is a significant difference. Most Rett Syndrome children develop quite well until about 18 months, but the word Congenital, which comes with the FOXg1 variant, means it started at birth.

From the evening of April 8th until our appointment with Dr. Iglesias on April 10th, I read everything I could about Rett Syndrome. While I felt devastated and deflated of the hope that no-diagnosis provided, I took some comfort in a few things: Retts isn't that rare; it's one in every 10,000 to 20,000. The foundation, the IRSF, is very well established and the research has come a long way; they're in Phase Two of some clinical trials. The community through the IRSF is tremendous. I felt comforted by being amongst a large group of parents.

That quickly changed when we sat down in Dr. Iglesias' office. Josie's disorder is crazy rare. She presents similar to Retts, yes, but FOXG1 is different, there are 93 known children with it in the world.

Josie's mutation was caused by what's known as a "missense" mutation of her gene. Basically that means that two letters in the gene code were flip-flopped. And of the 93 kids with FOXg1 known worldwide at this point, so far, we only know of one other with the same gene type of mutation.

Rich and I are not carriers. She didn't get this from us, she likely created it herself at conception. It's possible it was in either the egg or the sperm and that is why it wasn't found in our genome tests, but it is more likely that it started within Josie. Genetic disorders have to start somewhere. And it is very unlikely to have anything to do with Josie being IVF. It is truly no ones fault.

We sat in the doctor's office and received the worst news a parent could possibly get. He said he wants us to know what to be prepared for so we can have everything Josie needs.

He said seizures are very likely. Although she has been tested four times for seizures and all tests were negative, we believe the "attacks" she has are seizure related. She has two types of attacks that we named her "eye attacks," which happen daily, and the "bad attacks," which (knock on wood) we have not seen in more than a week. I will get into those in another post. Mind you, there are FOXG1 kids without seizures.

I believe Dr. Iglesias wanted to paint the worst-case-scenario for us, or at least just tell us what he knows from the not-so-many kids who have this. He said she may stay right where she is for a few years, but eventually her muscles will start to tighten and it might become harder to swallow, perhaps breathe, and move. She may need a peg tube in her belly to stay nourished. And he told us one day we may even consider an assisted living place for her if around-the-clock care is too difficult to manage at home. Well, that's not happening. And we'll cross that bridge IF we come to it. The worst words ever uttered to my face came when I asked what her life expectancy is and he said, maybe teens. But since then, I've read about FOXG1 kids in their 20s.

There is much more to tell about this syndrome and this blog will continue to be the place where I do.

I don't know if I can ever express how I feel. It's a wave of so many emotions - some, there are no words for. Sleeping is difficult; I've been feeling faint and foggy; I'm overcome with a sadness unlike anything I've ever known before. I'm exhausted and for the first time in my life I don't know if I can stay strong. I just want to protect my children. I want to protect Tanner from feeling how Rich and I feel. Tanner has such a beautiful view of his baby sister. He knows things are harder for her, but he is positive. He always says things like, "When Josie talks, she's going to say..." Or, "When Josie walks, she's going to play with my toys." I want to protect her from pain. I want to help her, help her, help her. I have this overwhelming energy to make a difference - this feeling of knowing that I can do something to help.

Our precious, smiling, laughing, beautiful baby girl has a real syndrome that will make life very difficult for her. I don't think I will ever accept the dismal prognosis. In my heart I don't believe it. They haven't seen Josie yet. I've always said this will be Josie's story to tell one day and I will hold on to that belief. I have to. And I ask anyone else thinking of Josie to do the same. Please keep positive thoughts for her. She's only two (and almost a half) years old and she has parents and family who will stop at nothing for her.

No matter what Josie does or doesn't do, we couldn't love her more. She brings pure joy to this world and in our eyes she is perfect.


Some pictures:
Josie with her biggest fan, Macy!






Wild hair - don't care.


Trying on glasses!

Comments

  1. She is amazingly cute!!! My son also has Fox G1. We just found out. But he is 10 years old and we have been looking for a reason for his disability for 9 years, so it was exciting for us to finally find out why he is.. the way he is. We didn't know if it was someone's "fault" and we are glad that it is not anyone's fault. At the same time I have been feeling sad and overwhelmed and sometimes devastated since he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at age 1. Just wanted to say how adorable she is, and she is holding her head up like a champ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is amazingly cute!!! My son also has Fox G1. We just found out. But he is 10 years old and we have been looking for a reason for his disability for 9 years, so it was exciting for us to finally find out why he is.. the way he is. We didn't know if it was someone's "fault" and we are glad that it is not anyone's fault. At the same time I have been feeling sad and overwhelmed and sometimes devastated since he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at age 1. Just wanted to say how adorable she is, and she is holding her head up like a champ!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI my name is shelly stone and we are in Texas. My son Hudson is 4 years old and has just been confirmed a FOXG1 syndrome diagnosis. I am at a loss for words and hope. Your sweet Josie is the exact face of joy and laughter my son has. They are identical. I know this sounds a bit forward or crazy, but i would do anything to meet you and sweet Josie just to know somebody else sharing this trial..this journey. Our God is big and he is working to do amazing things in our lives. Hopefully he will allow us to meet, or visit on the phone for a time. YOu are extradionary the way you share your story, your life, your sweet Josie. I am in awe of your unconditional love and faithfulness. Thank you for sharing our story. So grateful to have found you

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI my name is shelly stone and we are in Texas. My son Hudson is 4 years old and has just been confirmed a FOXG1 syndrome diagnosis. I am at a loss for words and hope. Your sweet Josie is the exact face of joy and laughter my son has. They are identical. I know this sounds a bit forward or crazy, but i would do anything to meet you and sweet Josie just to know somebody else sharing this trial..this journey. Our God is big and he is working to do amazing things in our lives. Hopefully he will allow us to meet, or visit on the phone for a time. YOu are extradionary the way you share your story, your life, your sweet Josie. I am in awe of your unconditional love and faithfulness. Thank you for sharing our story. So grateful to have found you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, My name is Mechelle Sutton , and my son Ben was diagnosed with foxg1 last year. He will be nine next month. He is our precious angel and has taught us so much , just like Josie has taught you things you would have never known before we entered this world of 'special needs' . The way I think of Ben to get me through the heartache and horrible pain of watching him suffer so many seizures, is to remember that there are few people in the world like him . Josie and Ben will never say an unkind word, or even have an unkind thought. They will never know the feeling of hatred, or wanting to hurt something or someone. They are indeed the most special little people in the world. God bless you and Josie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When he smiles, all is well in the world"
    Hi there, I work as a Nanny to a little guy who has foxg1. He just turned 9 yrs old and I met them when he was turning 3yrs old. He is the sunshine of our life! He's perfect and beautiful. He has a loving family with a couple siblings. They are a huge gift to him. We are out here in CA. and will leave the details at that since I'm not his parent. I just want to send love and hope to you and your family. I have learned...experienced that words really are not necessary to communicate and that when he smiles, it's by far the warmest and most sincere smile you will ever witness. I know how fortunate I am to know him. Be sure to take good care of yourself.
    With love and Aloha, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello i am Teresa and i was just told yesterday 11/21/2018 my granddaughter who i am now raising has FoxG1 i have knowen sence the day Flo was born something was wrong everyone told me i was crazy. It turns out 8 years later i was right and i am heart broken. I am told we are lucky she does walk and has limited words. She has her own language we understand Flo. But i am sad. I am also happy she brings so much joy. We have always treated her as if nothing was wrong with her when we got her 2 yrs. Ago she was in wheelchair and i said Flo i cant carry you, so lets walk up the steps and 3 weeks after we got her she was walking and we are always repeating words to her and she says about 8 to 10 words . We tought her to eat with baby spoons . And to drink from 360 cups now. But sadness is always in my heart. We are thankful she is alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES DISEASE
    I'm here to testify about what DR. ANUGE did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain,especially inside my body. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. Anuge on how he cured her from herpes disease. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help.so I emailed him telling him about my (HERPES) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as DR. ANUGE assured me that i will be cured,after some time. i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, the test came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact DR. Anuge for help. Email} dranuge@gmail.com WhatsApp /call +2348164866838

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son was diagnosed with a rare form absence status epilepsy. His seizures show no symptoms until the seizure has lasted for hours! The only warning we had was he started acting only tired at first then gradually he started acting confused and from there for 24 hours he didn't know what year it was, where he went to school, or even what grade he was in etc. his motors skills were perfect and he talked to everyone normal the entire time, he just couldn't answer certain questions. The hospital kept him overnight and gave him fluids and in 24 hours he slowly started remembering and they said he was good and sent us home. We know now that he was having a constant seizure the ENTIRE TIME of his confusion! Almost 3 months later he begins having the same symptoms when I woke him up for his 2nd day of school. we are sent for an EEG, which revealed at 10 am he was actually having what the neurologist referred to as the worst EEG he had seen) we then were sent to a different children's hospital where they observed him until 8:00pm, all this time my son passes every test, he is talking and his motor skills are completely normal! They finally begin his EEG around 9:00pm. It reveals he is still in seizure! They are blown away. Say they have never seen an absence case like his and they quickly gave him a big dose of adavan which immediately stops the seizure and he is able to regain his memory immediately. Does anyone have a child who has these same symptoms? His neuro doctor ordered a brain glucose test, but when we went for a follow up last week they said the test had been canceled and they had no idea what happened? When I asked if they were going to draw his blood and re do the test, they said that his medicine was controlling the seizures so far so they didn't feel the need to do the test! I need advice and some direction. I searched further; visited epilepsy websites, blogs. I find info about someone having the same symptoms. I was really determined. Fortunately for me, I stumbled on a testimony of someone who had epilepsy for several years and was cured through herbal medication. I read awesome stories of people whose condition were worse . But due to numerous testimonies. I was more than willing to try it. I contacted the doctor Gabriel, and my son used the Nectar herbs. It became a miracle for my son free from rare form absence status epilepsy within 3 months. The Nectar medicine worked without any trace of side effects on my son. totally cure. I decided to share my son story to tell people out there, that there is a hope for those with epilepsy using nectar medicine and anyone who suffers from seizures can be cured. Email dr.gabriel474@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honk For a Cure : The Power of "Yes"

To "Say" Thanks

The Air That I Breathe...